My name is Sarah Cipkar and I am running for Public School Board Trustee with the Greater Essex County District School Board for wards 3, 4, and 10.
All my experiences have been about learning, engaging people and advocating for the needs of the community. I currently work as a Community Development Coordinator at the Downtown Windsor Community Collaborative, a United Way funded partner focused on neighbourhood revitalization. Over the past 4 years, I have connected with residents and various community stakeholders with one goal: making the neighbourhood a better place for all ages.
I have also been heavily involved with the University of Windsor, graduating in 2015 with a Masters in Political Science with a thesis studying Citizen Participation. During this time, I worked as both a research and graduate assistant, co-authoring and publishing several articles. One highlight of that time was my involvement in the curriculum development of the Mentorship & Learning program in the Faculty of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences. I deeply value learning and education, as those opportunities have been foundational to my my personal and professional life.
I am also an urbanite at heart and love vibrant neighbourhoods. I currently live downtown with my almost 3 year old daughter, Harvest, and my husband, Todd. All three of us love relaxing by taking our dog on a walk to Jackson Park or heading out on a bike ride towards the Riverfront.
- Community Development Coordinator at the Downtown Windsor Community Collaborative (DWCC) responsible for neighbourhood engagement and advocacy, i.e. crime prevention initiatives, community gardens, art projects (2015 - Present)
- Volunteer at Dougall School Breakfast School Program (2015-Present)
- Former Student Trustee - Greater Essex County District School Board (2008)
- Former Director in Ontario Student Trustee Association (2008)
- Downtown Windsor Farmers’ Market Subcommittee Co-chair (2018)
- Windsor-Essex County Opioid and Substance Use Strategy Leadership Committee (2018)
- Downtown Windsor Business Improvement Association Non-voting Board Member (2018)
- Masters in Political Studies from the University of Windsor with specialization in Citizen Participation in Transportation Planning in Detroit (2015)
- Graduate of the University of Windsor in International Relations with a French Minor (2013)
- Writer and collaborator of various publications related to public transportation, middle eastern peace and conflict issues, citizen participation and mentorship and learning curriculum.
Do you like this page?